Ian has extensive experience in senior management within the automotive sector both in operational and strategic organisational development roles as well as provision of business advice and guidance to the broader manufacturing sector through the government’s National Skills Academy and the Chambers of Commerce.
- Ian, whilst a production manager at Land Rover Powertrain, was part of the delivery team and subsequently managed the organisation’s first Late Configuration Centre, whereby complexity was confined to the last possible point in the manufacturing process and by so doing delivering major benefits in reduced inventory as well as improving quality and flexibility.
- In 1997, Ian became Training Manager for BMW and subsequently Senior HR and Organisational Development Manager for BMW Powertrain. During this time he took a lead role in group wide initiatives on Health and Safety and Trainer Training as well as being a member of the organisation’s quality strategy team and restructuring project team. Ian was responsible for developing and delivering performance management processes and cultural change as well as Leadership Development and a Values driven Vision for the fledgling “Powertrain Ltd”.
- Having spent several years as an industry advisor to the The National Automotive Academy, Vice Chair of the Further Education Network and Chairman of the Midlands Training and Development Consortium, Ian joined the government’s National Automotive Skills Academy in 2005. As Midlands Regional Manager he delivered the national strategy of raising skills standards within the automotive sector and the delivery capability of training providers.
- Ian joined the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce in 2008, where he provided training, organisational development and business improvement support to member companies from all sectors, then spent 3 years with a Lean consultancy focussing on business improvement from an Operational Excellence perspective.
- In 2013 Ian formed Midland Training & Development Services (MTDS) to provide organisational and individual development services that focus on delivering business targets and objectives.